- Team has maintained the national league title for the last 15 years
- The team is the reigning African Cup of Club Champions
- The KSh 7.4 million sponsorship caters for the team’s kit and equipment, players’ allowances and match facilitation
Orange, has renewed its sponsorship of the Orange Ladies Hockey team ahead of the 2013 season that kicked of yesterday at City Park Hockey stadium in Nairobi Kenya.
Telkom Kenya CEO, Mickael Ghossein, said Orange will continue supporting and nurturing new talent to the team that has maintained an iron grip on the local league for the last 15 years. Ghossein adds that this is also consistent with Orange’s brand attributes, which aim to bring people from diverse backgrounds together to have fun through sports.
“Orange, as illustrated by our colour, is a warm and fun-filled brand. We are proud to be the sponsors of the Orange Ladies Hockey Team because it brings out these attributes by putting up a splendid and entertaining performance for its fans,” said Ghossein.
The CEO praised the team for its success at the continental level, clinching the African Cup of Club Championship trophy in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe last December. He also commended the team coach, Jos Openda, for demonstrating leadership though his futuristic approach that has seen him attract the country’s best talent. The team has signed up Terry Juma Masibo (defense) from the Blue Eaglets team and Irene Aor Ofula (midfield) from the Mombasa Sports Club as well as Margaret Kinuthia (forward) and Lorine Oyomba (defense) from Kerugoya Girls and Lwak Girls Schools respectively for the 2013 season.
Ghossein thanked the Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) for its continued partnership and support, which has been instrumental in the Orange Hockey Ladies’ team’s success. In 2013, the Union offered a capped waiver of training ground fees for the Orange team, which Ghossein said has enabled the company channel additional funds into sponsorship of the team.
The KSh. 7.4 Million sponsorship will cater for the players’ allowances, kit and equipment, and match facilitation.
“Orange is the majority constituent of the national ladies hockey team with 10 of the 16 players that will represent Kenya at the Olympic qualifiers that will take place in Nairobi later this year,” said Kenya Hockey Union Vice Chair, Nashon Randiek.
The team, that is also preparing to defend its continental crown in Accra, Ghana later in the year, will play its opening match against Sliders at 3.00 pm Sunday, May 11, 2013, at their home turf, the City Park Hockey Stadium.
2013 KHU Fixtures summary:
Saturday 11th May 2013
1. National Men UON Vs MKU 2.00 P.M City Park
2. Premier Men Strathmore Vs Parkroad 4.00 P.M City Park
Sunday 12th May 2013
3.National Men Parklands Vs NYS 9.00 A.M City Park
4.National Women Strathmore Vs MKU 11.00 A.M City Park
5.National Men Wazalendo Youth Vs Technical Uni (TUK) 1.00 P.M City Park
6.National Women Orange Vs Sliders 3.00 P.M City Park
7. Premier Men Wazalendo Vs Karate Axiom 5.00 P.M City Park
Saturday 18th May 2013
8.National Women Vikings Vs Strathmore 2.00 P.M City Park
9. Premier Men Kenya Police Vs KCAU 4.00 P.M City Park
Sunday 19th May 2013
10. National Men Technical Uni (TUK) Vs UON 9.00 A.M City Park
11. National Women Sliders Vs MKU 11.00 A.M City Park
12. National Men Thika Rovers Vs MKU 1.00 P.M City Park
13. Premier Men Karate Vs Parkroad 3.00 P.M City Park
14. Premier Men Greensharks Vs Nairobi Simba 5.00 P.M City Park