Ride hailing service Uber has joined Kenya’s voter registration exercise which ends tomorrow, February 14, coinciding with this year’s Valentine’s Day. For this reason, Uber will offer its Kenya-based clients tomorrow a 50 per cent discount on rides and further urges those who’ve not had a chance to register to create time and ensure that their names are on the register for the August elections.
In a blog post, Uber stated: “The last day to register as a voter in Kenya is fast approaching. If you’ve not registered already, February 14th may be the perfect day to express love for Kenya… This valentine’s day, we’re giving 50% off two trips in Nairobi, Thika and Mombasa. We encourage you to use these trips for voter registration.”
Below is the procedure on how to benefit from the one-day promo discount:
- Open the Uber app and add the promo code 254LOVE in the Payment or Promotions tab of the menu
- When you’re ready to express your love, request a ride
- Automatically get 50% off your next two trips only on February 14, 2017
But the discount has some conditions as well:
- Riders must enter the code 254LOVE before requesting a ride to get 50% off their next two rides on Tuesday, February 14
- The maximum discount possible is KES 1,500 per trip
- The promotion is open to both new and existing Uber riders in Nairobi, Thika and Mombasa
- The discount will apply only to the first two trips completed between 5 AM and 11 PM on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
The voter registration began on January 16 and ends tomorrow with no possibility of an extension from the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).