The Bloggers Association of Kenya (BAKE) has this morning announced the nominees of the 6th BAKE Awards and thereafter launched the voting phase for this year’s contest.
(TOP: Kennedy Kachwanya, BAKE Chairman receives the Kshs 3,1 million dummy sponsorship cheque from Kui Kinyanjui, Safaricom’s Head of Corporate Communications. On the right is Jane Muthoni, the GM at BAKE).
This year, judges sifted through over 10,000 blogs that were submitted and picked the best in each category. The judges this year were:
- Michelle Slater – GM at EatOut Kenya
- Ahmed Salim – GM at Qube Ltd
- Akil Ahmed – CEO at Alternative Agency
- Muthoni Maingi – Digital Manager at Safaricom
- Sally Kahiu – PR, Communications and Marketing Manager at Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM)
- Jackson Biko – Founder, bikozulu.co.ke and contributor for Business Daily, True Love and Saturday Nation.
- Dr. Martin Mburu – Assistant Professor of English at the United States International University (USIU-Africa)
- Demas Kiprono – Legal Officer at ARTICLE 19
- Samuel Majani – Founder and CEO of Ghafla
- Shitemi Khamadi- Founder of dhahabu.co.ke and Programs Manager at the (BAKE).
- Samuel Mbugua – Business Development Manager at Node Africa Limited
- Naomi Mutua – Deputy Managing Partner, Social@Ogilvy at Ogilvy Public Relations
Voting in the awards begin today and will close on May 7, 2017. To vote in the BAKE Awards, one will need to visit bakeawards.co.ke/vote. Voting will be limited to one vote per person. SMS vote verification has also been introduced this year.
This year’s awards began on January 9, 2017 with the launch of the submission phase and will culminate in the awarding of the winners at a gala event on May 13th 2017.
Safaricom announced sponsorship of the awards to the tune of Ksh. 3.1 Million. Kui Kinyanjui, Head of Corporate Communications at Safaricom, while announcing the sponsorship said that “We have supported the BAKE Awards from the beginning because we believe in the power of blogging to shape conversations. It is also nice to see the growth of blogging over the years and we are happy to continue to support the industry”.
The other sponsors for the BAKE Awards 2017 include Gates Foundation, EatOut Kenya, The Ford Motor Company, ShowMax, Xpose, Vivienne Taa and Kenya Human Rights Commission (KHRC).
Below is the full list of nominees:
1. Best Technology Blog
2. Best Photography Blog
3. Best Creative Writing Blog
4. Best Business Blog
5. Best Food Blog
6. Best Environmental/Agricultural Blog
7. Best Fashion/Beauty/Hair/Style Blog
8. Best Governance Blog
9. Best New Blog
10. Best Corporate Blog
11. Best Topical Blog
12. Best Sports Blog
13. Best Entertainment Blog
14. Best Education Blog
15. Best Travel Blog
16. Best Public Health Blog
17. Best County Blog
18. Best Religious or Spirituality Blog
19. Best Lifestyle Blog
20. Best Human Rights Blog
21. Best Women and Girls’ Empowerment Blog
22. Best Social Issues and Active Citizenship Blog
23. Kenyan Blog of the Year