Having registered or subscribed to Showmax, and then been issued with a free trial voucher for 2 weeks, the next obvious concern for anyone would then be the content available on the platform.
Clients of streaming services often complain about the limited shows and programmes available on various platforms. Others have, on the other hand, taken issue with the fact that what they are offered after making a subscription are often not the latest shows but old collections released years back.
(TOP: A scene from ‘The Night Of’, the new series coming which has been available on Showmax from mid this July).
Not so Showmax. Even though relatively new in the market, Showmax has distinguished itself by striving to offer clients best value for money, constantly updating its content catalogue with new – and at times exclusive – shows from production houses.
Let’s take a look at some of the exclusive shows that you can only watch on Showmax this July:
This series started streaming on Showmax on July 10 as one of the exclusive shows on the platform. It features Oscar-nominee Tom Hardy and is co-written by another Oscar-nominee Steven Knight with Kristoffer Nyholm coming in as the director. The executive producer is four-time Oscar nominee Ridley Scott.
In the series, Hardy plays James Keziah Delaney, long presumed dead when he returns home from Africa to 19th-century London to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire. Hardy created the dark family mystery with his father Chips and Steven Knight.
Taboo’s other cast members include Jonathan Pryce (Game of Thrones), Oona Chaplin, Jefferson Hall, Lucian Msamati; Michael Kelly (House of Cards); Stephen Graham (This Is England ‘90); Tom Hollander (The Night Manager) and Jason Watkins (The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies).
You can watch and the Taboo trailer here.
Sci-fi fans are welcome to enjoy the Golden Globe-nominated series which also started streaming last week. Described by IMDb as being “set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past” and enabling viewers to “explore a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged without consequence”, the series stars Evan Rachel Wood, Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris.
Since it hit the screens last year, Westworld has won various accolades. It has been nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama (Evan Rachel Wood) and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series as well as Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television (Thandie Newton).
The series has also been recognized this year by US’ Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films which awarded it the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Television Series and Best Supporting Actor on Television (Ed Harris).
Sci-fi fanatics can sample a bit of Westworld here.
The Night Of:
This is another series which started streaming on Showmax in mid July. The drama begins with college student, Nasir Khan, spending the night with beautiful female stranger only to alter wake up and find that she has been stabbed to death. He is then charged with her murder.
Among its accolades are 3 Golden Globe nominations for Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television and Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television (both for Riz Ahmed) and a Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television (for John Turturro).
Total Combat Presents One Championship:
Away from drama and fiction, and in order to cater to the viewership needs of every subscriber, there’s Total Combat for those who enjoy fight sports – featuring everything from mix martial arts (MMA), boxing, kick-boxing to muay thai. The show, which also joined the Showmax platform from mid July, is among the non-fiction additions this month. And the timing couldn’t have been more appropriate coming just about a month before the much-hyped MMA bout between US boxing champion Floyd Mayweather and Ireland’s and UFC’s MMA fighter Conor McGregor.
Apart from the international shows, the following local hits are also available on Showmax from this July:
- Music is Our Weapon – A film portraying the philosophy of SARABI, a Kenyan band which continues to build a bridge between all different social classes with their music.
- Mr Speaker Sir – A political satire is inspired by African parliamentary systems and the diversitiy of cultural differences that show up in speech, attitudes and interaction. It premiered on Showmax on Monday July 10, 2017.
- Moyo – The story of Shekuwe who takes Asha as his second wife so as to enable him buy land from her family. The first wife is however opposed to the new arrangement. It has been available on Showmax from July 13, 2017.
- Kampala Story – This is not entirely a Kenyan story. It features Apio and her mother who rely on the father to send money via mobile mobile transfer from the city. However, when the father suddenly stops making the remittances, all hell breaks loose as Apio’s mother needs immediate surgery. It made its Showmax debut on July 13, 2017.
- New Beginnings – Sean wakes up from a five-year coma to find that his wife is now with his best friend, leading him to question what caused the coma in the first place. Has been available on Showmax since July 17, 2017.
- Katututura – The story of how the lives of ex-convict Dangi, gangster Shivago and Kondja – a teenager in a wheelchair who helps street children – collide in hopeful and brutal ways. Has been streaming on Showmaxfrom July 20, 2017.
- Wrath – Frank is rich and Julia is poor, but this doesn’t stop them from falling in love. But when Julia dies in suspicious circumstances, all signs point to Frank. Catch up with the rest of the story from tomorrow, that is July 24, 2017.
Of course, the above are just highlights of some of the new shows and exclusives on Showmax. The rest and comprehensive list can be accessed on the platform.