Michael Macharia, the founder and CEO of Seven Seas Technologies in Kenya is among the finalists in this year’s Africa CEO Forum Awards.
Macharia has been nominated in the new “Young CEO of the Year” category which has been introduced this year to recognize the achievements of a young and upcoming CEO.
The “Young CEO of the Year” recognize and honour an African CEO under the age of 40 years who heads an upcoming African company that shows strong growth potential.
Other nominees in the category are Ashish J. Thakkar (Founder and CEO, Mara Group), Gossy Ukanwoke (Founder, BAU R&D), Jason Njoku (Co-Founder and CEO, IROKO), Manuel Osa Nsue Nsua (CEO, Banco Nacional De Guinea Ecuatorial), Saad Sefrioui (MD, Groupe Addoha), Sangu Delle (Founder and CEO, Golden Palm Investments) and Sébastien Kadio-Morokro (MD, Petro Ivoire).
Apart from Macharia, the other nominee from Kenya is not an individual but a company, Safaricom, which has been nominated in the ‘African Company of the Year’ category. Other firms in the category are Ascendis Health, Dangote Group, Ison Group, Maroc Telecom, Naspers, Sanlam and Seplat.
Below is the complete list of nominees:
|AFRICAN COMPANY OF THE YEAR
1. ASCENDIS HEALTH
2. DANGOTE GROUP
3. ISON GROUP
4. MAROC TELECOM
|AFRICAN BANK OF THE YEAR
1. AFRILAND FIRST BANK
2. ATTIJARIWAFA BANK
3. BGFIBANK HOLDING
4. GUARANTY TRUST BANK
5. GROUPE BANQUE POPULAIRE 6. RAWBANK
7. STANDARD BANK GROUP
8. ZENITH BANK
|PRIVATE EQUITY INVESTOR OF THE YEAR
1. AFRICA FINANCE CORPORATION
3. AMETHIS FINANCE
7. VITAL CAPITAL FUND
8. WENDEL AFRICA
|INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION OF THE YEAR
1. AFRICA INTERNET GROUP
|CEO OF THE YEAR
1. Aliko Dangote, President / CEO, DANGOTE GROUP
2. Brahim Benjelloun-Touimi, Chairman of the board, BANK OF AFRICA GROUP 3. Divine Ndhlukula, Founder and MD, SECURICO
4. Fatima Beyina-Moussa, MD, ECAIR
5. Jaswinder Bedi, CEO, BEDI INVESTMENTS
6. Jean Kacou Diagou, President, NSIA GROUP
7. Oba Otudeko, President, HONEYWELL GROUP
8. Zouhair Bennani, CEO, LABEL’VIE
|YOUNG CEO OF THE YEAR
1. Ashish J. Thakkar, Founder and CEO, MARA GROUP
2. Gossy Ukanwoke, Founder, BAU R&D
3. Jason Njoku, Co-Founder and CEO, IROKO
4. Manuel Osa Nsue Nsua, CEO, BANCO NACIONAL DE GUINEA ECUATORIAL
5. Michael Macharia, Founder and Group CEO, SEVEN SEAS TECHNOLOGIES
6. Saad Sefrioui, MD, GROUPE ADDOHA
7. Sangu Delle, Founder and CEO, GOLDEN PALM INVESTMENTS
8. Sébastien Kadio-Morokro, MD, PETRO IVOIRE
The Africa CEO Forum 2016 will take place in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire on March 21 – 22. The event has become the international Forum of reference dedicated to the development of the private sector in Africa and this year, for the fourth time, the achievements of CEOs and companies in Africa will be honored during the Africa CEO Forum Awards 2016.
The Africa CEO Forum Awards honor companies and investors whose strategies have demonstrated their commitment to play a part in Africa’s growth over the past year.
Six prizes will be announced on the evening of 21 March 2016, in the presence of Akinwumi Adesina, President of the African Development Bank.
Since the inaugural Africa CEO Forum Awards in 2012, nearly 100 companies, Private Equity Funds and CEOs have been nominated by succeeding juries and 20 Awards have been presented. These include the coveted ‘CEO of the Year’ title which has previously been awarded to: Tewolde Gebremariam, CEO, Ethiopian Airlines (2012); Daphne Mashile-Nkosi, CEO, Kalagadi Manganese (2014) and jointly to Issad Rebrab, CEO, Cevital and Chris Kirubi, Director, Centum Investment Group in (2015).