Finally, Huawei’s new model in the Y series, the Y7 Prime 2018, is here, and available for sale in Kenya. The device has been available locally via retail outlets since Thursday April 19. However, the big news is that from today – that is Thursday April 26 – the Huawei Y7 Prime 2018 is available for sale at a discounted price of juts Kshs 16,999 on Kilimall as part of the Kilimall Mobile Week promotion. This is all possible because Huawei has partnered with Kilimall, the online retailer, to launch the Huawei Y7 Prime 2018, as the authorised online distributor.
But just before you click on the link above and order the device, let’s just attempt to give you a sneak preview of the phone, which we’ve been fortunate to have – courtesy of Huawei and Kilimall – over the past 2 days.
Here is the device as it is delivered:
Then the specifications:
|Dimensions||158.3 x 76.7 x 7.8 mm|
|SIM||Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)|
|DISPLAY||Type||IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||5.99 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~76.3% screen-to-body ratio)|
|Resolution||720 x 1440 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~269 ppi density)|
|PLATFORM||OS||EMUI 8.0 on Android 8.0 (Oreo)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430|
|CPU||Octa-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53|
|MEMORY||Card slot||microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)|
|Internal||32 GB, 3 RAM|
|CAMERA||Main||Dual: 13 MP + 2 MP, phase detection autofocus, LED flash|
|Features||Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama|
|FEATURES||Sensors||Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass|
|BATTERY||Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery|
Having had the phone for about 2 days now, here are some observations:
- Home button: On the Y7 Prime 2018, this appears on the left, a feature which I’ll have to adopt to because the previous device I had – the Tecno SPARK – had its home button on the right.
- Preloaded apps – These are very few as not even Twitter, WhatsApp and Messenger are available at first glance when the screen is powered on though these can be downloaded as soon as the device is connected to the internet. However, the only exception and something I found curious, is that the NetFlix app comes preloaded on the phone.
Taking a screenshot – The Y7 Prime 2018 has an option through which you can take a screenshot by simply swiping down 3 fingers on the screen, a very convenient feature which I got introduced to in the previous device and I’ve come to like ever since.
Face Unlock: In addition to the fingerprint scanner at the back, the Y7 Prime 2018 comes with Face Unlock capability which can also be used to unlock the screen. Trouble only comes when you’re in a poorly lit area and want to use the Face Unlock feature to unlock the screen and your face is not visible, in which case, one will have to use either the finger print scanner or pattern to unblock the screen.
So far, the above are the main features I’ve managed to interact with since I got the device. However, that doesn’t mean they’re the only unique features of the Huawei Y7 Prime 2018. The other features which I’m yet to try out are:
|Dual Rear Camera
13MP+2MP dual camera to provide stunning wide aperture Bokeh effects, alongside PDAF fast-focusing rear camera which enables users to capture the most exciting and beautiful moments anytime with their devices.
1.Selfie Flash which supports both manual and smart auto-adjustment even in low-light environments.
2.The front camera supports AR lens modes: Change Background, and funny Cosplay.
3.The device features various selfie-taking modes to allow users taking selfies with audio control or smiley face
1. Huawei Clone is an app that allows users to conveniently copy and transfer information from one device to another.
2. Game Suite can filter unimportant notifications, except for calls, alarms and low battery alerts, for an uninterrupted game experience.
3. Smart Split-Screen allows users to multitask between selected apps at the same time. Users can enjoy videos and chatting with friends, or take notes while reading a document.
Which is why you also need to get to Kilimall and order your own Y7 Prime 2018 to tinker with and enjoy the incredible features, most of which I’m even yet to try out before the promo ends and become a #HuaweiBigFan. Remember the Kilimall Mobile Week promotion runs for about 2 weeks till May 10, 2018.