The holiday season is behind us now. And we’re in the third week of January, a month which, depending on who you talk to, has between 31 to even 45 days, all because of tight budgets and lack of (disposable) cash in people’s pockets (or bank accounts).
(TOP: Downloading content on a tablet. Image: Showmax).
But even during the ‘inordinately’ long January month, life has to go on, as usual – as rent and fees have to be paid, households have to be fed, and bond as a family unit while enjoying their favourite shows on TV. Or they can disperse after meals with each member of the household choosing to watch their favourite shows on their own mobile device.
Choosing to watch your own preferred content on a specific mobile device – while at home, at a public place or while travelling – means that you’re either streaming or watching content already saved on the device after being downloaded from various platforms, like Showmax, a VoD platform with a variety of shows suitable for each and every member of the household.
January is a tough month budget-wise, we’ve already acknowledged that. However, most of us at some point or another (during the day or week) find ourselves in areas with free Wi-Fi. That’s why as a Showmax subscriber, you need to utilize this free internet access to download content on your device and save to watch later, during your free time.
So, how do you go about the process of downloading Showmax content to watch later?
But first, remember that for you to download Showmax content to watch later, a subscriber must be using either an Android (or iOS) device that supports Widevine Classic or Widevine Modular DRM. And note that, unfortunately, you can’t download content from Showmax to your laptop, PC or smart TV – you can, of course, stream using those devices.
Below is the guide:
- Sign in to your Showmax account from your mobile app.
- Open the Showmax app and choose the series episode or movie you want to watch offline.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button. On the smartphone app, it’s usually represented by an icon of a cloud with an arrow pointing downwards, to the right of the episode name, above the preview screen. (On a tablet, the button is next to the ‘Play Now’ button).
- You’ll get a menu with download quality options to choose from – Low Quality, Standard Quality, Good Quality and High Quality – depending on data capability or space on your device. To use as little data and as little space as possible, it’s recommended that you select ‘Low’ or ‘Standard Quality,’ especially when downloading content to watch later on your smartphone screen. The low-quality option is ideal for small screens.
- The download should then start immediately.
- Once the download is complete, you – as the subscriber – are then free to watch the downloaded at your own convenient time.
And here are other key points to remember regarding the downloaded content:
- Content is available for viewing on your device for up to 30 days from the day of the download. Once you press ‘Play’ on the show, you have up to 48 hours to view the content after which it will be deleted.
- You can watch downloaded content as many times as you like within 48 hours of starting the first playback. After this, you’ll need to download it again should you wish to watch it again.
- You can only download up to 25 titles (that’s one episode, or one movie) at a time per account, across all five devices.
Otherwise, as they say elsewhere, the show must go on. Or, to paraphrase it, Showmax subscribers must watch their favourite content, whether they stream it live (or download it) to watch later. Irrespective of whether we’re in the tough and long January or the relaxed holiday season of December.