Finally, Vodacom Tanzania settles on Hisham Hendi as the next MD

After almost 2 years since the departure of its former CEO Ian Ferrao who moved to Lesotho to head the group’s operations in the South African country, Vodacom Tanzania has finally settled on Hisham Hendi from Egypt as its next Managing Director.

Hendi’s appointment brings to an end the telco’s long search for its new head, a position was almost taken over by Safaricom’s Sylvia Mulinge before she later failed to secure the necessary documents to enable her work in the country, leading her to move back to Safaricom in a new role as the Chief Customer Officer.

(TOP: Hisham Hendi. Photo: LinkedIn).

Vodacom Tanzania, through its chairman Ali Mufuruki, announced that it had appointed Hendi to the MD position with effect from March 19, 2019.  Hendi has held the position in an acting capacity since September 2018 after Sylvia Mulinge’s appointment fell though.

The new MD, a Vodacom group veteran who’s held various roles at the group’s Egypt subsidiary since January 2005, is no stranger to Vodacom Tanzania. In August 2016, he moved from Egypt to join Vodacom Tanzania as the Commercial Business Unit Director “where his strategic director transformed the unit, achieving positive year-on-year growth”.

Hendi has over 15 years of experience in the telcoms industry having worked in various leadership positions in various countries including Egypt, UK and South Africa.

“Mr Hendi valuable expertise to the company as well as international leadership experience that will navigate Vodacom through its vision to lead Tanzania into the digital age and change lives through technology. We are confident that under his leadership, Vodacom Tanzania will continue to make a significant contribution to the communities it serves, helping Tanzania achieve its development goals,” added Mafuruki.   raise

With a subscriber base of about 10 million people, Vodacom Tanzania is a subsidiary of Vodacom Group, South Africa which is also a subsidiary of Vodafone Group, UK. Vodacom Group owns a majority share portion of 65%, while the remaining 35% is owned by the Tanzanian shareholder, Mirambo Ltd.

(Visited 77 times, 1 visits today)


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.