This year’s edition of AfricaCom Awards will see various firms and organisations being recognised several new categories, all exemplifying Africa’s digital progression. Entries are now open for organisations to submit their best work conducted or implemented over the past 12-months. The deadline for entries is October 4, 2019 while no late submissions will be accepted.
The annual celebration not only recognises the achievements of the best organisations, solutions, products and people in the telecommunications and technology sector, but it is also an ideal opportunity for networking.
This year, over 450 guests will converge under the theme of ‘Enchanted Forest.’
PCCW Global, who supported the event in 2018, has confirmed their involvement for 2019, saying: “PCCW Global is delighted to sponsor the AfricaCom Awards which recognise the sterling works performed by companies and personalities that are developing solutions and products to improve connectivity that will drive Africa into the fourth industrial revolution. Good luck to all who enter.“
Here are the categories for 2019 awards, with a detailed description of each available here:
- Connecting the Continent Award (new)
- Delivering Excellence in Customer Service
- “Everything as a Service” – Best Cloud or Application Solution (new)
- Changing Lives Award
- Best Digital Entertainment Innovation
- Security Product or Service of the Year (new)
- Best Network Management Software (new)
- Best Connected Consumer Device (new)
- Best Innovation for Enterprise (new)
- Most Innovative Service “The Business of Tomorrow”
- Government Leadership Award (new).
The CXO of the Year will be an Africa-based telecoms, ICT and enterprise leader, who is prioritising telecoms innovation, embracing disruptive technology and elevating the continent’s digital economy. In 2018, this Award was presented to Abdikarim Mohamed Eid, CEO of Telesom.
The Enterprise CXO of the Year Award celebrates an enterprise leader who excels at prioritising telecoms innovation, embracing disruptive tech and elevating the continent’s digital economy. In 2018, the accolade went to Priya Thakoor, Chief Digital Officer for Coca-Cola South Africa.
To get a head start, here are some tips for submission:
- Choose wisely – Focus on what you are most proud of and choose the category that best represents your submission.
- Time & Preparation – Set aside enough time to plan and prepare. Standards are extremely high and judges can spot last minute thoughts.
- Ask questions – If you have any queries about what to include or how to use the online entry system, or contact the Awards organisers.
- Make it appeal – Make your submission a compelling read to stand out from the rest.
- Prove it – Fact or fiction? Expert judges will be looking for evidence for any assertions of success
- Fit the criteria – Ensure you read the guidelines and judging criteria carefully and then answer all the questions, in full.
- Include Endorsements – Independent feedback, especially from clients or industry participants, can be very persuasive.
- Supporting materials – Check the category requirements and If you have something relevant, include it.
- Proof read – You may have great content, but ensure that your entry is well written and doesn’t contain mistakes.
- Review – Make sure you have included all the supporting information required by your entry and get an independent party to review.
The 2019 edition of the AfricaCom Awards are sponsored by PCCW Global and Intelsat who also support the Changing Lives Award. The event will take place in Cape Town at The Lookout, in Cape Town’s Waterfront on Wednesday November 13, 2019, during the annual AfricaCom expo and conference.