For the third year in a row, the German Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya is calling on Kenya’s content creators to participate in a mobile phone short video competition. The contest is calling on Kenyans to tell the judges: Which obstacles do you see today for your individual progress or progress of society as a whole? Which walls would you like to see gone?
“Je, ungependa kubomoa ukuta gani?…,” states the call for entries.
Contestants are required to tell their story in a short video clip on how they overcame obstacles or which obstacles they still want to overcome. Applicants need to identify which walls they would like to tear down that separate them as people today.
The deadline for entry submissions is Sunday, 19 September 2021.
The contest seeks to enable the creators reach a large audience through their participation on all major social networks in Kenya, and win one of the following prizes for the 3 top prizes:
1. A videographer starter pack consisting of an iPhone 11 (128 GB), a steadycam and a clip-on microphone to continue your creative voyage as a mobile video artist.
2. A brand new Android Smartphone (2021), a tripod and a clip-on microphone.
3. A brand new Android Smartphone and a microphone.
In addition, all the top 10 entrants of the #BomoaUkuta 2021 competition will also get the opportunity to participate in the embassy’s brand new Masterclass and meet established Kenyan filmmakers.
The winners will be announced on October 1, 2021. The winning video will be featured on the embassy’s Social Media platforms as well as other online events being held during the pandemic.
All videos sent to contest in the competition by Sunday, 19 September 2021 will be taken into account by a jury consisting of Timothy Owase (@TimothyOwase1, CEO, Kenya Film Commission); Ravi Karmalker (expert film maker and CEO, Good Karma Fiction), Sheila Mwanyigha (@MissMwanyigha CEO, Rembesha Kenya); the German Embassy (@GermanyinKenya); as well as Goethe-Institut Kenya (@Goethe_Kenya).
Among all submissions, the jury will select a shortlist consisting of 10 videos being announced after the scheduled closing date.
Below is how to participate:
- Send an answer as a video together with a signed scan of your Terms and Conditions by 19 September 2021. The video clip submitted has to be between 30 and 180 seconds long, excluding credits.
- All Submissions can be sent via WhatsApp (+254793076611) or via email to [email protected] and [email protected] (preferably download or transfer link, maximum email size limited to 10 MB).
- Eligible submissions must include a video as well as the signed Terms and Conditions.
Last year’s Top 10 #BomoaUkuta participants including the 3 winners can be found on the #BomoaUkuta YouTube channel.
“In 1989, the Berlin Wall that separated East and West Germany was torn down in a peaceful revolution, leading to Germany’s reunification on 3 October 1990. It paved the way to a free, more inclusive, liberal and progressive society in all of Germany. This was possible due to the great engagement and courage of many who came together in a vision to overcome the political as well as physical obstacles that divided our country,” states the contests’ call for entries.
“Today, in Kenya as Germany we live in societies where we still face many every-day obstacles as individuals or even together. Amongst many other things, the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic is having a very negative impact around the globe, thus contributing to more obstacles for individual as well as societal development.”