Glovo, one of the world’s leading multi-category delivery players, has in partnership with Esade Business School, Ashoka Africa and Boston Consulting Group (BCG), organized a competition for early-stage tech-based startups based in Kenya that deliver value to SMEs.
The aim of the competition is to help accelerate the progress and success of the SME focused start-ups that are improving the operating and business environment and efficiency levels and ultimately increasing the chances of success for those SMEs. To participate in the competition, the start-up must not have raised more than $20,000 in funding. The Competition will be made up of 2 stages. The first stage will be through an online submission while the second stage will be a physical event where the top eight shortlisted businesses get to pitch their businesses in person to a panel of judges.
- For the first stage, interested participants are expected to submit a 1 Page Executive Summary of the business highlighting:
- What problem is being solved
- Why the problem is relevant
- Target customers
- How the problem is being solved
- Key team members and their valueaddition
- Biggest operational/business challenge
- 3-year financial projection
- An extended pitch deck of no more than 12 slides/pages detailing:
- Business Model
- Go to Market
- Unit Economics
- Financial Needs
- Any additional relevant information
Speaking during his visit to Kenya, Sacha Michaud, co-founder at Glovo said: “Africa is a massive opportunity to invest in, and we at Glovo are committed to helping build the Kenyan ecosystem for digital services, and we recognise the needs of SMEs as a critical part of the community. We believe Kenya is a hub for technology and innovations, we look forward to seeing the competition unfold and most importantly to help accelerate SMEs in the country on their digitalization journey.”
The top eight selected projects from the first phase will be invited to compete for the final prizes in front of a jury of experts including the co-founder of Glovo, the MD of BCG Kenya, and other tech leaders. The live pitch will be held on April 29, 2022 in Nairobi, Kenya. Invited to the panel of judges would be representatives from the Ministry of Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development and Information Communications, and Technology in Kenya.
There will be three prize winners – the 1st prize winners will receive a Mini Business Accelerator package through an all-expenses paid trip to visit Barcelona, Southern Europe’s leading tech hub. This will include:
- Meeting Top Executives -. They will meet top Glovo executives and have the opportunity to receive feedback and tips on their business as well as discuss any business opportunities and challenges.
- Business Support: A Visit to the Esade Business School Campus including sessions with experts from the ESADE Entrepreneurship Institute and the eWorks Accelerator program to have a review of the business plan and discuss with them the roadmap and go-to-market plan.
- Fast-Track Access to the Summer 2022 edition of the eWorks Accelerator program, which provides access to mentors, exclusive perks and tools and a final demo day with international investors (fully remote program).
The 2nd place winner will receive:
- Virtual session with Glovo top executives to get feedback and guidance on their business and to seek guidance on business opportunities and challenges.
- Fast-Track Access to the Summer 2022 edition of the eWorks Accelerator program.
- Pro bono consulting session with BCG Kenya consultants to help develop their business idea.
The 3rd place winner will get a Virtual session with Glovo top executives to get feedback and guidance on their business and to seek guidance on business opportunities and challenges. Also virtual consulting sessions with experts from the eWorks Accelerator, to get feedback and guidance on the business idea.
Glovo is a pioneering multi-category delivery app and one of the world’s leading technology platforms intermediating in the on-demand delivery industry. Founded in Barcelona in 2015, it operates in Southwest Europe, Eastern Europe, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Founded in 1958, Esade is a global academic institution with campuses in Barcelona and Madrid and a presence throughout the world, thanks to collaboration agreements with 185 universities and business schools. Each year, more than 11,000 students participate in courses organised by three academic units: Esade Business School, Esade Law School and Executive Education. Esade Alumni, an association made up of more than 67,000 Esade graduates, maintains an international network of 72 international chapters. Esade’s graduates represent 147 nationalities and are present in more than 100 countries. Esade’s business innovation park, Esade Creapolis, aims to inspire, facilitate and accelerate innovation processes at the companies participating in this pioneering ecosystem.
Boston Consulting Group (BCG) partners with leaders in business and society to tackle their most important challenges and capture their greatest opportunities. BCG was the pioneer in business strategy when it was founded in 1963.
Ashoka identifies and supports the world’s leading social entrepreneurs, learns from the patterns in their innovations, and mobilizes a global community that embraces these new frameworks to build an “everyone a changemaker world.” Ashoka started in Africa in the early nineties to support rigorously vetted social innovators who are addressing the most critical social and environmental problems on the continent.